What is That is all. ™?



What is That is all. ™?

That is all. ™ is a Social Media Marketing and Development Company
specializing in the creation and production of quality written, visual and audio content.

To request a social media consult, development, production services or
to schedule a speaking engagement CLICK HERE.


You can also follow That is all. on Facebook or on Twitter @_that_is_all_ . We will follow back upon request.


Friday, November 16, 2012

Walk in My Shoes - The Last Page


(I should point out at this point,  if you have not read Page One and Page Two you should do that before reading The Last Page. 
Everything I am writing is true.  I have changed the names of the people I mention and the quotes are as close as I can remember them.  The only name that remains unchanged is my own. The shoes size has been changed as well.  Everything in this story before and after this point actually happened.)

    

     “Tony Young, Development Office, How can I help you?”  That was how I answered the phone that day.  Not in my pathetic voice though.  I used my Bob Barker/Drew Carey hybrid voice.  It is a good thing to have that voice in the bank when you have to answer the phone and be happy about it when you are not.  “Hi Tony.  My name is Sue.  I am involved in a women’s group and we have just been given a voucher from Superduperwellknown Shoes for twenty pairs of shoes.  Do any of your guys need shoes?”  The smile that spread across my faced almost wrapped completely around my head.  I know prayer works, but holy cow that was fast.  I told Sue that we always needed shoes.  Then Sue asked the most amazing question I may have ever heard.  She said, “Great!  What sizes would you like?”  The smile that wrapped around my head went around for another lap and I told her, “4 size 9’s, 5 size 10’s, 5 size 11’s, 5 size 12’s, and, um, 1 size 17EEE would be great.”  Sue didn’t miss a beat.  She said, “Great!  That won’t be a problem.  Except I won’t be able to get a pair of size 17EEE.”  That fast the smile unwrapped from my around my head. I told Sue that we sure could use the shoes she offered and we began making arrangements for her to get the shoes and deliver them to the homeless mission.  Before she hung up though she said, “Tony I have to ask, do you really need a pair of size 17EEE”s?  I told Sue about the big fat guy that walked into my office; I told her that I was a big fat guy too.  I told her some of the things that he and I talked about.  I told her that I had no idea where I was going to find shoes for him but that I believed in prayer and that I just knew that I would find them.  I asked her if she knew of anyone that I could call at Superduperwellknown Shoes.  “No, I don’t.” Sue said, “But my husband works with a lot of big fat guys, let me see if he may be able to help.”  I had to ask the next question.  “What does your husband do Sue?” I asked.  “Oh, he’s a coach for a professional football team,” Sue said.  “He coaches the big fat guys.”   I could hear the smile in her voice when she said that.  I don’t know if Sue could hear my jaw hit my desk when she told me that.  I thanked her and she said she would be by the following Tuesday to drop off the shoes.

     Bringing brand new shoes, in brand new shoe boxes, into an urban homeless shelter is something that needs to be handled delicately.  I do not do delicate things well, which is exactly why I opted for deception .  I know something about deception.  All good deception calls for a plan. The plan was for Sue to call me when she was on her way.  I would meet her outside, halfway down the block, load the boxes of shoes into black trash bags and bring them into the homeless mission and up to my office.  It would have worked perfectly too if I had told Sue about the plan.  To be honest, I did not even remember that I had forgotten to tell Sue about the plan until I looked out of the window of my office that Tuesday and saw a woman parking a beautiful SUV with the backseat full of Superduperwellknown Shoe boxes.  Big fat guys are not normally known to move very fast.  That is because we are saving our fast moves for the times when we may need them most.  This qualified as one of those times.  I don’t think I could have gotten down the three flights of stairs faster had I jumped out of the window. I reached Sue and the SUV just as she opened the door.  I introduced myself and explained to her that it would be best for her, me and all of humanity if we put those boxes into the black bags that I had in my hand.  She laughed and that is what we did.  I grabbed the bags and she grabbed her giant soccer mom bag and we went upstairs to my office.  She helped me unload the boxes from the bags of deception and stack them on my desk.  Each box had a size label on them and I noticed that none was larger than a twelve.  Somehow that did not seem to matter. We sat down and we talked.  Though we had never met, we talked for over an hour.  That was one of the best conversations that I have ever had in my life.  We talked about me and we talked about her and we talked about the homeless mission and we talked about faith and we talked about hope.   We talked about wants and needs and the difference between the two.  Then we had that silence that comes when people don’t have anything more to talk about.  Most times it is uncomfortable, but for some reason this time it was not.  She reached into her giant soccer mom bag and pulled out two boxes.  She walked over and set the boxes on my desk and put her hand on them. Sue said, “I couldn’t get the exact size but these should work.  There is a condition though.  The big fat guy that gave them to me asked me not to tell anyone where they came from.  So don’t even ask.”  I just nodded my head because I knew what was inside those boxes.  I opened them and saw two brand new pairs of top of the line cross training professional grade size 17EE athletic shoes.  I pulled out a pair and set them on my desk.  They were huge and they were beautiful.  On the inside of the heel of each shoe were two numbers.  Those two numbers told me who the shoes came from.  I saw Sue see me see that.  She said, “Like I said, the big fat guy asked me not to tell anyone where they came from.  That means you too.”  So I can’t tell you who the big fat guy was who gave up their shoes for a big fat guy that needed shoes.  But if I could, it would completely blow your mind because it is just perfectly perfect.  I asked Sue if she wanted to give these shoes to the guy that needed them so badly.  She told me that I should do that.

    

The big fat guy with two pairs of shoes on his one pair of feet had made it a habit of stopping by my office twice a day, sometimes more, to see if I had heard anything about shoes for his giant aching feet. And every time I told him to keep praying.  And every time he said he would.  That afternoon, when he stopped by, I asked the big fat guy with two pairs of shoes on his one pair of feet, if he thought that prayer works.  He said,” I dunno.”  I handed him the two boxes. “Prayer works,” I said.  He started opening the boxes slowly.  He knew what was inside.  And I watched.  Again.  I watched a 6’10” 400 pound man cry.  And it was beautiful.  What he found inside that box was not just shoes.  What he found in that box was hope.  What he found was that with a little bit of hope and a whole lot of prayer, we might get what we want, we always get what we need, and sometimes we get both.  He found both in that box.  So did I.  That is all.

 

 

 

The Aftershock

 

Before Sue left that day, she told me that she talked to some of the big fat guys she knew on that professional football team and that they were putting together bags of big fat guy clothes for my big fat homeless brothers.  She said she would bring them down.  She did.

 

Deception being a specialty of mine, I used a black sharpee to change the numbers on the heels of the shoes to a number that was not used by that professional sport team that year. I never told big fat guy with two pairs of shoes on his one pair of feet who sent those shoes.

 

To this day, the big fat guys, the tall skinny guys, the short guys, and some of the coaches from that professional football team continue to support that homeless shelter.  That homeless shelter practices a highly successful spiritual recovery program for homeless men and men suffering from the disease of addiction. They plan to open a homeless shelter for women based on those same spiritual principles.

 

The big fat guy with two pairs of shoes on his one pair of feet did well for awhile.  Addiction is a brutal disease though.  He left the program before completing it.  I never found out why and thought of him often.  I prayed for him especially all these years.  Last week, on my way home from work, stopped at a stoplight in the city, I saw a big fat guy getting off of a bus ten feet away from me.  It was him.  I looked at him and he looked at me.  He looked great.  I rolled my window down and said, “You good?”  He smiled and said, “No sir, I am great!”  The light changed and I had to move on.  I smiled and waved.  Before I drove off he yelled, “Mr. Tony,” pointed to his shoes, and said, “Prayer works!”   That is all.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome Tony! I love you Man!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony - Can't even begin to tell you how great this is! Keep it up brother! Prayer and hope are the lights of the world- thanks for the timely reminder !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful story and you are a great story-teller.

    ReplyDelete